I saw this lace lamp on pinterest one day and thought it looked fun! So I took the lamps I already had (the shades are almost a felt type of material) and decided to give it a go. Again, I had my crafty mother in-law help me because she is the best. This was pretty time consuming but turned out great!!
1st: I took a scrap piece of lace I had and laid it on the lampshade to get a cut out of the shape in a strip.
2nd: got black spray paint.
3rd: Used garbage bags to cover up the spots I was not doing.
4th: I got Sticky adhesive spray.
5th: You spray the lace with the adhesive spray and then lay the cut out of the lace on the lampshade. Then you put the garbage bag taped onto the shade exposed and around the bottom. Then you spray the spray paint onto the desired spot. Gently lift up the lace from the area you just sprayed and match it up perfectly right next to the spot you just did. Keep doing this all the way around.
Let’s just say that this was something that sounded so easy to me, but actually was super time consuming and difficult! If it wasn’t for my mother in-law, I would have died!
1st: I found this junky old door at The Rustic Rose in Phoenix (an over priced vintage store that is beyond amazing!!). The price tag was $110 but it was perfect for my home office door so I said, “What the heck, I’ll just buy it”. A week later, I found the same door pretty much for $50 at an appliance warehouse.
2nd: I got everything I needed: primer, the color I wanted, the glaze (I just saw this at Home Depot and thought I would give it a try because it looked fun), paint tape (to tape the windows), razor blades (to clean the windows), a sander, wood filler for any chips and a handle (I found the handle at another vintage store in downtown Phoenix for $7).
3rd: I sanded the door until it felt nice and smooth. I added the wood filler anywhere that it was chipped to make a nice surface and then sanded that as well.
4th: I taped off all the windows and then I premiered the door and let it dry over night.
5th: The next day I added my blue paint and then let it dry over night.
6th: The day after that I took a razor blade to the door itself and started chipping the paint. I razored really hard in the corners when I would pull the tape off to make the wood color show through. Then I just did random spots as you see in the picture.
7th: I took a sharp-ended tool (I used a bike hook) and stabbed part of the door. I did about 20 or so stabs in a circle and made it look a little beat up and then I took the Martha Stewart glaze and glazed over the stabs and then whipped it off right after with a wet rag. The glaze stayed in the holes and any cracks on the door.